my pc shuts down  
Author Message
sspatriots





PostPosted: Mon Feb 19 07:17:22 CST 2007 Top

Windows XP >> my pc shuts down

Im hopeing someone can help me with a problem im having.

when i perform a disc cleanup and windows clean up the un necessary
files my computer shuts down on its own.Also i cannot perform a system
restore and i cant do a disc scan as the volume wont open.

Thanks in advance.

Windows XP328  
 
 
Will





PostPosted: Mon Feb 19 07:17:22 CST 2007 Top

Windows XP >> my pc shuts down Hi

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any 'Errors'. If any are found could
you please post the Event ID and Source?

--


Will Denny
MS-MVP Shell/User
Please reply to the Newsgroup


Please reply to the Newgroups


> Im hopeing someone can help me with a problem im having.
>
> when i perform a disc cleanup and windows clean up the un necessary
> files my computer shuts down on its own.Also i cannot perform a system
> restore and i cant do a disc scan as the volume wont open.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>


 
 
Bill





PostPosted: Thu Feb 22 02:11:00 CST 2007 Top

Windows XP >> my pc shuts down Hello, I've just started to have a similar problem....
When I try to perform disc cleanup, my computer shuts down and restarts
instead.
Disc cleanup has worked OK in the past.

I found the following error message.......
"AMLI:ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address
(0xcfc), which lies in the 0xcf8-0xcff protected address range. This could
lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical
assistance."
--
Cheers,
Bill




> Hi
>
> Have a look in the Event Viewer for any 'Errors'. If any are found could
> you please post the Event ID and Source?
>
> --
>
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Shell/User
> Please reply to the Newsgroup
>
>
> Please reply to the Newgroups


> > Im hopeing someone can help me with a problem im having.
> >
> > when i perform a disc cleanup and windows clean up the un necessary
> > files my computer shuts down on its own.Also i cannot perform a system
> > restore and i cant do a disc scan as the volume wont open.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
>
>
>
 
 
Elmo





PostPosted: Thu Feb 22 07:07:13 CST 2007 Top

Windows XP >> my pc shuts down
> Hello, I've just started to have a similar problem....
> When I try to perform disc cleanup, my computer shuts down and restarts
> instead.
> Disc cleanup has worked OK in the past.
>
> I found the following error message.......
> "AMLI:ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address
> (0xcfc), which lies in the 0xcf8-0xcff protected address range. This could
> lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical
> assistance."

This post suggests you need a BIOS Update.
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware/browse_frm/thread/45de85f114567e3a/ccede1a94977cdb4?lnk=st&q=AMLI%3AACPI+BIOS++is+attempting+to+read+from+an+illegal+IO+port&rnum=2#ccede1a94977cdb4

900+ articles:
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=AMLI%3AACPI+BIOS++is+attempting+to+read+from+an+illegal+IO+port&qt_s=Search

--
Joe =o)
 
 
Bill





PostPosted: Thu Feb 22 09:41:00 CST 2007 Top

Windows XP >> my pc shuts down Elmo,
Thanks for your reply...
It's good to know that there might be a possible easy cure for this....
I'm going to take the machine into my local computer guru to sort out for me,
since I am not at all comfortable with making changes to things I don't
understand.
Thanks again
--
Cheers,
Bill





> > Hello, I've just started to have a similar problem....
> > When I try to perform disc cleanup, my computer shuts down and restarts
> > instead.
> > Disc cleanup has worked OK in the past.
> >
> > I found the following error message.......
> > "AMLI:ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address
> > (0xcfc), which lies in the 0xcf8-0xcff protected address range. This could
> > lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical
> > assistance."
>
> This post suggests you need a BIOS Update.
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware/browse_frm/thread/45de85f114567e3a/ccede1a94977cdb4?lnk=st&q=AMLI%3AACPI+BIOS++is+attempting+to+read+from+an+illegal+IO+port&rnum=2#ccede1a94977cdb4
>
> 900+ articles:
> http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=AMLI%3AACPI+BIOS++is+attempting+to+read+from+an+illegal+IO+port&qt_s=Search
>
> --
> Joe =o)
>
 
 
Bill





PostPosted: Thu Feb 22 11:30:05 CST 2007 Top

Windows XP >> my pc shuts down Follow-up..... I decided to try disc cleanup one more time this morning (I'm
stubborn that way), and lo and behold, a miracle occurred overnight during
the 7 or 8 hours that my computer was shut off..... The disc cleanup worked
as it should!!! (despite 3 failures last night)... Didn't do anything except
have the computer shut off and calling my computer repair guy this morning
(he can't look at it till next week, .... now not needed)
--
Cheers,
Bill




> Elmo,
> Thanks for your reply...
> It's good to know that there might be a possible easy cure for this....
> I'm going to take the machine into my local computer guru to sort out for me,
> since I am not at all comfortable with making changes to things I don't
> understand.
> Thanks again
> --
> Cheers,
> Bill
>
>

>

> > > Hello, I've just started to have a similar problem....
> > > When I try to perform disc cleanup, my computer shuts down and restarts
> > > instead.
> > > Disc cleanup has worked OK in the past.
> > >
> > > I found the following error message.......
> > > "AMLI:ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address
> > > (0xcfc), which lies in the 0xcf8-0xcff protected address range. This could
> > > lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical
> > > assistance."
> >
> > This post suggests you need a BIOS Update.
> > http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware/browse_frm/thread/45de85f114567e3a/ccede1a94977cdb4?lnk=st&q=AMLI%3AACPI+BIOS++is+attempting+to+read+from+an+illegal+IO+port&rnum=2#ccede1a94977cdb4
> >
> > 900+ articles:
> > http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=AMLI%3AACPI+BIOS++is+attempting+to+read+from+an+illegal+IO+port&qt_s=Search
> >
> > --
> > Joe =o)
> >