creating Data Access Layer, how?  
Author Message
LimeStone





PostPosted: Mon Jun 25 01:51:00 CDT 2007 Top

ADO >> creating Data Access Layer, how?

.NET 2.0

I wonder how a Data Access Layer should be created using best practice!

So if you have a link to an article about this subject then please post it
here

I've heard Microsoft has a special pattern for this, but I have forgotten
it's name, I think the name is something like Data Object Block?? I'm not
sure about that.

Any suggestions?

DotNet132  
 
 
braulio121NOSPAM





PostPosted: Mon Jun 25 01:51:00 CDT 2007 Top

ADO >> creating Data Access Layer, how? Hello,

Ideally you could use the Enterprise Library and datareaders for high
performance.

But if you application is going to hold less than 200 users, and you don't
have quite much time develop boiler plate code, you can base your datalayer
in typed datasets (VS 2005 has a wizard to automate the creation of this
datasets and dataadapters):

http://www.theserverside.net/discussions/thread.tss?thread_id=37108
http://www.15seconds.com/issue/030401.htm

Good luck
Braulio



/// ------------------------------
/// Braulio Díez
///
/// http://www.tipsdotnet.com
/// ------------------------------






> ..NET 2.0
>
> I wonder how a Data Access Layer should be created using best practice!
>
> So if you have a link to an article about this subject then please post it
> here
>
> I've heard Microsoft has a special pattern for this, but I have forgotten
> it's name, I think the name is something like Data Object Block?? I'm not
> sure about that.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
>
>
 
 
Dave





PostPosted: Tue Jun 26 07:47:01 CDT 2007 Top

ADO >> creating Data Access Layer, how? Braulio,

Do you use the datareaders to populate business objects? If you go with this
approach, how do you handle things like sorting/filter that comes with a
dataset or don't you worry about that?

I'm just curious. I"m on the fence about datasets vs business objects and
this is one of the things that I wonder how others deal with this issue.

Thanks, Dave.



> Hello,
>
> Ideally you could use the Enterprise Library and datareaders for high
> performance.
>
> But if you application is going to hold less than 200 users, and you don't
> have quite much time develop boiler plate code, you can base your datalayer
> in typed datasets (VS 2005 has a wizard to automate the creation of this
> datasets and dataadapters):
>
> http://www.theserverside.net/discussions/thread.tss?thread_id=37108
> http://www.15seconds.com/issue/030401.htm
>
> Good luck
> Braulio
>
>
>
> /// ------------------------------
> /// Braulio Díez
> ///
> /// http://www.tipsdotnet.com
> /// ------------------------------
>
>
>
>

>
> > ..NET 2.0
> >
> > I wonder how a Data Access Layer should be created using best practice!
> >
> > So if you have a link to an article about this subject then please post it
> > here
> >
> > I've heard Microsoft has a special pattern for this, but I have forgotten
> > it's name, I think the name is something like Data Object Block?? I'm not
> > sure about that.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> >
> >
 
 
braulio121NOSPAM





PostPosted: Tue Jun 26 14:06:02 CDT 2007 Top

ADO >> creating Data Access Layer, how? Hello,

I have used both, DataSet and DataReaders.

About DataSet they are quite easy to use but not a good approach if your
site has to support a lot of traffic, or if you have a cheap hosting (well
here things depends more on things like the cache that you are going to
apply)

About DataReader and custom business objects, you need to make more
boilerplate code, use custom datasources and custom paging. It's quite
optimal because you just take from the SQL Query jsut the records that you
need for paging, but you have to implement all the queries and code to
perform sorting and paging. Take a look at this links:

http://aspnet.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/040407-1.aspx
http://aspnet.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/032206-1.aspx

If you need more help just give me a shout.

HTH
Braulio

/// ------------------------------
/// Braulio Díez
///
/// http://www.tipsdotnet.com
/// ------------------------------






> Braulio,
>
> Do you use the datareaders to populate business objects? If you go with this
> approach, how do you handle things like sorting/filter that comes with a
> dataset or don't you worry about that?
>
> I'm just curious. I"m on the fence about datasets vs business objects and
> this is one of the things that I wonder how others deal with this issue.
>
> Thanks, Dave.
>

>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Ideally you could use the Enterprise Library and datareaders for high
> > performance.
> >
> > But if you application is going to hold less than 200 users, and you don't
> > have quite much time develop boiler plate code, you can base your datalayer
> > in typed datasets (VS 2005 has a wizard to automate the creation of this
> > datasets and dataadapters):
> >
> > http://www.theserverside.net/discussions/thread.tss?thread_id=37108
> > http://www.15seconds.com/issue/030401.htm
> >
> > Good luck
> > Braulio
> >
> >
> >
> > /// ------------------------------
> > /// Braulio Díez
> > ///
> > /// http://www.tipsdotnet.com
> > /// ------------------------------
> >
> >
> >
> >

> >
> > > ..NET 2.0
> > >
> > > I wonder how a Data Access Layer should be created using best practice!
> > >
> > > So if you have a link to an article about this subject then please post it
> > > here
> > >
> > > I've heard Microsoft has a special pattern for this, but I have forgotten
> > > it's name, I think the name is something like Data Object Block?? I'm not
> > > sure about that.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> > >
> > >
> > >